Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Jesus of Varick Street

Jesus of Varick Street -"Hello", said Jesus as I was walking down that rather narrow sidewalk. I turned around and I stared at him. He looked much, but much differently than the skinny medieval image I had impregnated in my mind from my early years. He also looked very differently than the Michelangelesque muscular, all powerful Jesus, pushing undesirable people to the side, and selecting with his strong grip the arms of the deserving ones. No, this Jesus looked different. His long hair was black and thick, but too thick, like if he hadn't washed it since the day of the crucifixion. Jesus looked into my eyes. And smile. I knew it was him. We talked about the weather. He predicted it would rain. I made a mental note to buy a cheap umbrella at the Chinese street vendors at the Spring Street subway station. He asked me if I had a couple of bucks. He said he was a little hungry. I gave him 10 bucks. What the hell!! He was Jesus after all. We walked a little more on the crowded sidewalk, under one of those perpetual scaffolds on the Varick Street buildings, where there was one of those born again street preachers, who looked almost deranged. The preacher seemed angry. He seemed tired of not being listened to. This respectable looking man had the appearance of a clean cut dictator. Screaming and holding next to his white shirt an old black cover bible in his hand held in place by a red rubber band he saw us coming and he directed his attention particularly to Jesus. He seemed to be even angrier by the site of him. The preacher’s face changed color as he gesticulated even more aggressively than before. Most pedestrians walked around repelled by him trying to avoid him and his uncomfortable demeanor. Jesus looked at him and smiled and said: “What do you say man…. I love you teacher??” He must have known him well. The preacher looked at him and as he was quoting something from “JOHN” He pointed at him and he said: ” and you …. you Loafer….. You Sponge of society…You bring perdition to yourself….You useless frolic …How can you know what love is? See here this man. He is the product of our greed. This is what happens to us individuals when we lead a life without God, without the Lord. …You need to be born again!!!!…. You need to be a righteous man!!!!….There is no heaven without Jesus…!!! You have to be born again as the Bible says..!!!! You need Jesus….!!! I felt sad for Jesus. I think He felt sad himself. I asked him “ Why are you sad?… Don’t you feel hurt??” He said ”Yes, I am sad, but I am sad for him” We parted ways, and I went to work. He walked away along the sidewalk. I turned around and looked at his walk. His pants were 2 sizes too big for him and they were really dirty. He turned the corner and disappeared. I saw him many other times as well sitting on the sidewalk in front of a magazine shop on Varick Street, sometimes talking to some invisible angel, and laughing or shaking his head. He does not remember me. Why should he? He has so many others to care or worry for! I used to feel sad for him, but I am not sad any more. Well, at least NOT for him anyways…I am sad for the rest of us…. ACD 8-27/08

No comments:

Post a Comment